Friday, November 4, 2011

Strict Paleo

So for the month of November I got talked into doing a strict paleo challenge. I'm a little apprehensive, and I will already be cheating because I'm making donuts today for a wedding shower (check back for the recipe and pictures), but I am going to make my best effort to be strictly paleo this month. And to keep myself motivated, I will be trying out some new paleo recipes. The first one I tried, banana almond pancakes, has left me feeling like I may be able to make it through this month after all. They were very easy (only 4 steps!), and super good.


Here is the recipe.

  • 2 bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 1-2 tbsp almond butter
  • fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (I used pecans)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  1. Process the pecans in the food processor until finely chopped.
  2. Add the bananas, egg, and almond butter and process until well combined.
  3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat with a pat of coconut oil. This was the first time I have ever used coconut oil. I like it! It's too bad it's so expensive =( but don't skip it because the coconut flavor comes through in the pancakes and I don't think the recipe would be the same without it.
  4. Pour small discs of the batter onto the skillet, put blueberries on top. When the edges start to look cooked, flip and press the batter down so it is "pancake" thickness. Cook until golden brown.




 This is the batter in the food processor. It is thicker than typical pancake batter. When I looked back at the original recipe I realized I was not supposed to mix the chopped nuts into the batter, this could be why it is a little thicker. I didn't mind the nuts mixed in, it gave them more of a banana-nut-bread quality.

 The pancakes with blueberries.

The pancakes flipped and deliciously golden brown. Make sure the heat is not too high when you are cooking or they will burn. These are done perfectly.




Here is one from my first batch. I had the heat on too high in the beginning. It still tasted good!

No comments:

Post a Comment